A daily routine can bring about radical changes in the body, mind, and consciousness. It helps to establish balance and regularize one's constitution.
1. Wake Up Early in the Morning : Ideally in the early hours of the day before sun rise when the nature is at its best that brings peace of mind and freshness to the senses.
2. Say a Prayer before Leaving the Bed : Any prayer which you regularly follow or that which is comfortable for you. But repeat the same every day.After this prayer touch the ground with your right hand, then the same hand to the forehead, with great love and respect to Mother Earth.
3.. Clean the Face, Mouth, and Eyes : Splash your face with cold water and rinse out your mouth. Wash your eyes with cool water and massage the eyelids by gently rubbing them. Blink your eyes 7 times and rotate your eyes in all directions. Dry your face with a clean towel.
4. Drink water : Then drink a glass of tepid water, preferably from a pure copper cup filled the night before. This washes the GI track, flushes the kidneys, and stimulates peristalsis. Other drinks usually have a negative impact on the body and is habit-forming.
5. Clean your teeth and tongue: Always use a soft brush for cleaning the teeth. After that gently clean the tongue from the back forward, This stimulates the internal organs, helps digestion, and removes dead bacteria.
6. Evacuation: Sit, or better squat, on the toilet and have a bowel movement. Improper digestion of the previous night's meal or lack of sound sleep can prevent this. After evacuation wash the anal orifice with warm water, then the hands with soap.
7. Gargling : To strengthen teeth, gums, and jaw, improve the voice and remove wrinkles from cheeks, gargle twice a day with warm sesame oil. Hold the oil in your mouth, swish it around vigorously, then spit it out and gently massage the gums with a finger. Putting 3 to 5 drops of warm ghee or oil into each nostril in the morning helps to lubricate the nose, clean the sinuses, and improve voice, vision, and mental clarity. Our nose is the door to the brain, so nose drops nourish prana and bring intelligence.
8. Apply Oil to the Head & Body (Abhyanga) : Rub warm oil over the head and body. Genttle, daily oil massage of the scalp can bring happiness, as well as prevent headache, baldness, graying, and receding hairline. Oiling your body before bedtime will help induce sound sleep and keep the skin soft.
9. Bathing : Bathing is cleansing and refreshing. It removes sweat, dirt, and fatigue, brings energy to the body, clarity to the mind, and holiness to your life.
10. Dressing: Wearing clean clothes brings beauty and virtue.
11. Use of Perfumes :Using natural scents, essential oils, or perfumes brings freshness, charm, and joy. It gives vitality to the body and improves self-esteem.
12. Exercise:Regular exercise, especially yoga, improves circulation, strength, and endurance. It helps one relax and have sound sleep, and improves digestion and elimination.
13. Pranayama : After exercise, sit quietly and do some deep breathing exercises.
14. Meditation :It is important to meditate morning and evening for at least 15 minutes. Meditate in the way you are accustomed, or try the "Empty Bowl Meditation". Meditation brings balance and peace into your life.
Maintain a balanced diet(which should contain all six tastes)at the correct time and in moderate quantity. The concept of quantity of food to be taken is fill only half the stomach with solids, quarter with fluids and the rest to be kept free for proper assimilation.
Drink 2 – 3 litres of water everyday. Take it in moderate quantities at regular intervals. Too much water intake delays digestion as it dilutes the digestive juices and too little also delays the digestion as it affects the assimilation of food.
Sleep at least 6 hours a day. Early to bed and early to rise is the best method. Ayurveda insists on getting up in the morning before sunrise as an important routine to keep up the health. Avoid sleep during the day as it makes the person lethargic and regular daytime sleep leads to put on weight.
Regular and moderate exercise is important to keep up the health. Moderate means, any physical movement like stretches/walking/jogging/any other physical exertion till you sweat. Exercise beyond a limit deteriorates the health and causes emaciation.
The overall vital glow or ‘Ojus’ is the optimum presence of all seven body tissues including the reproductive fluids (semen for male and ovum and associated secretions in female). Over indulgence in sex causes excessive drainage of these fluids, which leads to deterioration of health and emaciation.
Personal Hygiene :
Keeping the body and the surrounding clean is very important to prevent possible diseases and to keep up the health.
Bad Habits :
Avoid smoking, alcohol, tobacco, gudkas, etc. as they not only affects that individual’s health but are also injurious to his family and society.
Natural Urges :
Never hold back natural urges such as flatus, urine, sneeze, thirst, hunger, sleep, cough, yawning, vomiting and semen. Hold back mental urges of greed, envy, hatred, jealousy, love (desire), etc.
Be positive always. It enhances the mental and physical well being. Note that mind and body are not two units. Any mild problem affecting the mind affects the physical health and vice versa.
Diet Chart for Weight reduction :-
Only fresh fruits (excluding bananas). For better results, it is suggested that you include lots of melons, especially watermelon.
Have a large boiled potato for breakfast. For the rest of the day eat as many fresh vegetables, raw or cooked, as you like. Avoid oil, coconut, or any other fat.
Eat a combination of as many fruits and vegetables as you like. Exclude bananas, potatoes.
Eat as many as eight bananas, and drink 3 glasses of milk. You can also have a bowl of vegetable soup.
Today grains are introduced into the diet. Eat a cup of rice and 6 whole tomatoes. Drink 12 rather than the usual 10 glasses today since you will have cleanse your system of the excess uric acid your body will be producing.
Today is another all vegetable day. You may include one cup of rice. Eat to your hearts content all the cooked and uncooked vegetables you want.
Today your food intake will consist of one cup of rice, fruit juices and all the vegetables you want.
Additional Comments :-
The most important element of the program is the 10 large glasses of water a day.
You can also flavour the water with some lemon.
While on this program drink only black coffee or tea.
Best not to use oil, but if you must, not more than 1 teaspoon a day.
Because of high caloric content, eat only whole fruits until the 7th day.
If you are hungry at any time, eat raw or cooked vegetables.
Follow this diet chart only with the doctor’s advice.
What happens to your body on this program and how and why does it work :-
You are preparing your system for the upcoming program. Your only source of nutrition is fresh fruit.
Start with a fix of complex carbohydrates in the form of a boiled potato, taken for energy and balance. The rest of the day consists of only vegetables, high in essential nutrients and fiber, but virtually no calories.
Eliminate the potato because you get your carbohydrates from fruits. Your system is now to start burning excess fat. You will still have cravings but they will start to diminish by day four.
Although bananas and milk sound least desirable, you are in for a surprise. You will notice a definite desire for sweets and the bananas will satisfy that craving and provide you with needed potassium. Milk will provide needed sodium. You can even have milk in your coffee or tea today.
The rice and tomato day. The rice is for carbohydrates and the tomatoes are for the digestion and fiber. Lots and lots of water is needed to purify your system. You should notice colorless urine today. Do not skip the rice today although you don’t have to eat a whole cup. You do need to eat the 6 tomatoes.
Day Six and Seven
Similar to five; vitamins and fiber from the vegetables, and carbohydrates from the rice.
Kerala Ayurvedic Treatment Center - Way 2 healthy life ........